New Site Design, New Game

First off, you may not have noticed if you’ve been reading this site through an RSS thingy, but I’ve redesigned deirdrakiai.com to make it less ugly and hopefully easier to read and navigate. Do have a looksie, if you haven’t already, and let me know what you think!

Additionally, to commemorate this momentous occasion, I’ve written a new Flash gamelet. It’s a brief meditation on the subject of individuality versus conformity, packaged as an interactive children’s book, which I call The Little Girl Nobody Liked. It should take no more than five minutes to play through, so check it out… and also let me know what you think!

This entry was posted in Blog Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to New Site Design, New Game

1. Rikard says:

I got the best ending on my first playthrough. :)

Have you tried The Space Under the Window by Andrew Plotkin? It uses similar gameplay (if you can call it that) mechanics.

Regarding your actual content (rather than the form), I think it’s a slightly depressing view of the world you show us.

2. Corvus says:

I like the redesign very much.

The gamelette, while cute, made me crave another ore involved game from you!

3. Mory Buckman says:

It might just be my memory, but I seem to remember the first time you used this technique (the dialogue) being more elegant. In this one I never had any idea what would happen if I clicked on one versus the other. It seems random and arbitrary.

4. Mory Buckman says:

Ah, here it is. It wasn’t just my memory, that was much more effective.

5. Lee says:

I’ll check the game out in a bit. Got something I’m doing right now. Just wanted to let you know that I think the redesign of the site looks very clean and smart, but still retains the charm that your work has. I hope everyone else agrees. I note that you’re getting some mixed reviews of the game so far. I’ll send you an email to let you know what I think after I’ve played it a few times. *hugs*

6. @Rikard I’ll check out The Space Under The Window. As for the depressing worldview, rest assured that it’s by no means a complete worldview… though the sentiment expressed therein is a genuine one.

@Corvus Thanks! I haven’t really had the bandwidth to write more involved games as of late, which saddens me. I’m hoping that’ll change once DeathSpank ships.

@Mory Duly noted. Though I must wonder whether seeming random and arbitrary (at least at first) is necessarily a bad thing… particularly coming from the guy who designed Smilie. :)

@Lee Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Also, thanks again for helping me with the redesign.

7. Mory Buckman says:

If Smilie seems random and arbitrary, I apologize. That was not my intention, so it would mean that I failed in my design.

What ever happened to “Stage!”?

8. No, it would mean that your design resulted in unforeseen consequences. That is not necessarily a failure.

Stage! is currently on hold, due to circumstances beyond my control.

9. Edmundito says:

Very lovely game, Deirdra! And nice new site look, too!

10. Max Battcher says:

I think the new design lacks a little bit of the old “spunk”, for lack of a better word, but I’m unsure exactly what suggestions I would make to improve it.

The new game is cute, but I’m not sure that it brings anything especially “new” to your oeuvre Deirdra. Not that distillation, re-interpretation, or simple iteration are unworthy concepts, of course. I’m just a grandiloquent armchair critic seeking more wonders than my opinions themselves deserve to opine upon.

In the end I can’t help but feel that by saying that this game or this website isn’t “original enough for Deirdra” that I’m no more astute in my criticism than Mellvar in his disparaging remarks to talented actors that they aren’t acting hard enough…

11. Cyrus says:

Nice, but I would prefer something closer to classic adventures. Something with an inner idea, but with point and click gameplay as well.

12. Cyrus says:

What kinds of games are you planning to release next?

Comments are closed.